Tuesday, July 27, 2010

No, really officer, he did it to himself!!

Dawson just got over his first real illness, helpfully diagnosed as a viral infection** of unknown origin. He woke up one morning with a 102 fever, which went up to over 104 within 24 hours. And that was the axillary temp so add whatever particular figure you been told to, and you've got one sick little lad. It was so sad. The first day he spent the entire day sitting on my lap, which wasn't that bad.

The next day the rash started.


Not too bad at first, just some flat splotches mostly on this forehead. Then they spread over his face and into his hairline.





Then got more red, and closer together.


Then behind the ears, all over the scalp, then neck, down, down, down.... In 36 hours it looked like he had the measles.

*insert pic of mottled child here when beloved mother emails them to me, as she promised  3 days ago*

At one point he was so weak that he just laid in my arms, staring into middle distance. His eyes were bright and glassy, but unfocued. His lips were so red, but chapped and dry. When I'd call his name he'd give me the briefest of glances, then let his eyes fall away again. He was beyond exhausted, but would sob hysterically if I tried to put him in bed. (This was the worst part. He wouldn't sleep anywhere but in my arms! In 3 days I got 11 hours, total. The cramp in my arm was excruciating the next day, like I'd smashed my funny bone to smithereens.) The only thing that let me know he was still in there was that he snapped to attention whenever he heard the theme song to his most very favourite show in the whole wide world, Waybuloo.

BTW, I will be eternally grateful to my wonderful fellow-commonwealther Beck who learned of Dawson's obsession with the British TV show, and sent, from Australia, a DVD unavailable on this side of the pond. It saved our life! My next child shall be named Cattermole, regardless of gender. Actually, that's kinda bad-ass. But I digress.

Ooh, funny story: I called Telehealth at one point in this adventure, and was only half-listening as the nurse asked me the standard questions: is he having any trouble breathing; do his lips or nails have a bluish tinge, etc. Then when we got to the specifics of the rash, the questioning took a turn that snapped me back to attention:

Telehealth Nurse Lady- Are the spots raised or flat?
Me-  Some flat, but mostly raised.
TNL- Are they fluid-filled?
Me- Not really, but there are a couple that look like they're going in that direction.
TNL- Would you say they look like blisters or pimples?
Me- Most of them look pimples, but the worst ones, I'd say like blisters.
TNL- *pause, typey typey type* 
TNL - Are any of the blisters purple? (Sproing! Purple blisters? Quoi?)
Me- No...definitely more red.
TNL - *typey typey type!!*
TNL- The red blisters, would you say they're blood coloured? (OMG! Seriously??)
Me- No! Just red, like acne.
TNL-Ok! *type type*
Me- Wait, were you asking about the PLAGUE??
TNL- *pause, no typing*
TNL- ...Perhaaaps...

Can you imagine?? THE PLAGUE! I think the only disease that would possibly have freaked me out as much would be Ebola,. 

So, after 4 days, 3 tentative diagnoses and 2 trips to the doctor, we ended up getting through all that. The fever cooled, the rash cleared. Yesterday we were finally able to venture out without people gasping and pulling their children close. Huzzah!

Today he fell and smashed his face into the arm of the couch.

Black eye.

Teeth right through the lip.

Blood everywhere.

Sigh.

One day, we'll reach a point where I can go a week without having to wonder if a trip to the ER is in order. At least that's what I keep telling myself. Considering we still rarely make it that long without Jamie putting himself in mortal peril, maybe I'm just fooling myself.





**"A viral infection?" said my mother, "that's nothing to worry about at all, then! Stop complaining. The common cold is a viral infection!"
"Yes, mother," I replied, pinching the bridge of my nose in a gesture of exasperation as old as time, "so's AIDS."

2 comments: