Sunday, July 8, 2012

(If I just start talking, can you pretend I haven't been gone for two years? Ah, great. Thanks!)

I have a big announcement to make! What? No, no I'm not pregnant. But apparently I've reached the age where whenever I  have news to share, people assume it's a fetus. Well, it's not. Buuuutttt....  I'm going to Disney World!! With my darling little boy, as well as my mom and grandmother. Jamie unfortunately will not be able to join us, but he will sooth his broken soul by playing guitar after 9pm and sleeping diagonally across the bed, both activities  that normally result in a pinch from yours truly.

I've been a Disney fan forever. While not as hardcore as some, it is where Jamie and I went on our official honeymoon (as well as St Louis for the Cardinals experience and Nashville because Nashville is awesome), and we went back twice more before Dawson was born. In fact, the last time I was dancing down Main Street was when I was about 3 months pregnant with the little Cornpop. So I guess, technically, this will be his second trip.

While I've been thinking about this trip for several months, I only went ahead and booked it yesterday. Since then, I've been in full-on planning mode. What park to visit each day! Where to eat! Booking dining reservations! What extras to add, like Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party! Huzzah!!

Ahem.

So, as I said, I've been a Disney fan forever. And I thought I understood why parents loved it so much. But it wasn't until announcing it to D last night that I fully understood what an incredible place it is. I got to watch the joy on my little boy's face as I told him we were going to stay where Mickey Mouse lives, that we'll ride magic carpets and pirate ships, that we'll have breakfast in the castle and eat lunch with his friends from the Hundred Acre Wood.  And every time he asked a question, I got to tell him YES!

Dawson- Will I see Mickey?
Me- YES!
D- Can I hug Mickey? And Donald?
M- YES!
D- Can I ride on a rocket ship?
Me- YES!
D- Can I eat birthday cake?
Me- YES!
D- And see fireworks?  And go Trick or Treating?
Me- YES and YES!
D- Can we go on an adventure?
Me- Sweetie, we'll be going on adventures every single day.

Tears!!  As the mother of a...well... spirited young lad, I spend a lot of time having to say no. To be able to say yes to every single thing his little mind could conjure up, that's priceless. (Well, actually, Disney is able to put a very solid price tag on happiness.) When I was a little girl, my grandma took me on my first visit to WDW. Now, about 25 years later, she'll be there for my little boy's first visit. That right there is something special.

So, to avoid driving those around me absolutely insane with every little planning detail, I have returned to the blogosphere as an outlet for my rampant enthusiasm. Please join me in my decent into candy-coated, mouse-eared madness. And with that I'm off, to take Dawson to the park and talk about all the adventures we're going to have.

-S.C.




No comments:

Post a Comment