Monday, June 28, 2010

Really? Really??

So, since my weight loss was going so well, of course something has come along to derail it. Around week 13 I saw my family doc, who was beyond thrilled with my loss at that point. He's the one who referred me to Dr Poon in the first place, and he confessed he never expected me to have such success. High fives all around.

Until he opened my file to look at my recent test results.

No more Poon for Sonia.

So, for a few years I've know about some kidney issues, namely that Righty was shrunken and misshapen. As of now, he's AWOL. No, really. I had an ultrasound that lasted longer than an hour and she could not find it at all. I asked if my girthiness was adding to the problems, and with a glare she showed me how quickly she could find Lefty, my bladder, gallbladder and uterus. Chub was not a factor, and in her professional opinion Righty was not there. Lefty, however, was giant. My personal theory is that Lefty sensed Righty's inherent weakness and ate him, but I'll leave it to the doctors to decide.

Additionally, my liver isn't looking all that happy. And it has a nodule. Doesn't seem to be a big deal, but definitely needs further investigation.

So, since Pooning is taxing on both of the aforementioned organs, I've been put in time out. I've switched over to Weight Watchers which now seems like a smorgasbord. Really? I can have a sandwich AND some fruit for lunch? AND a salad? Bliss! (And can we talk for a minute about how great fruit is? Cause it's GREAT!!) Even with WW I'm supposed to take it slowly, and my doc would prefer it if I just maintained until this gets sorted out.

However, after 25 years of being on diets and finally finding success, I'm having a hard time with being told to stop. It was so amazing to watch that scale go down so quickly. I'm gloriously thankful for what I did lose (43 lbs, bringing total loss to 66 lbs) and for what I gained. I gained my self respect back, and my ability to go through life with my head held high. I should have had it all along, but I truly didn't. I'd lost my ability to live an authentic life, and now I can again. I'll make it the rest of the way,  slowly, but I'll do it.

And if Lefty did in fact stage a coup on Righty, he better be willing to do the extra work. We don't take kindly to slackers around these parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment